Minutes of a Meeting of Members of the Dioceses of Syracuse and St. Nicholas, Ottawa and Canada, and Australia and New Zealand.
August 13\26, 2016 – Apodosis of the Transfiguration.
The meeting was held on the grounds of the Tolstoy Foundation in Valley Cottage, New York.
Attendees: Archbishop Andronik (Kotlaroff) (Chairman), Archbishop Sophroniy (Musienko) (as an
observer), Hegumen Nestor (Mikhaylenko), Archpriest Gregory Kotlaroff, Fr. Dmitriy Amelchenko, Fr.
Dmitriy Dobronravov, Fr. Aleksandr Krivoshlikov, Hierodeacon Pavel Lipin, Sub-deacon Viktor
Kachrovskiy, George Lukin, Leon Chernyak, Anatoliy Gorovoy, Artur Mifedov-Frolov, Sergey
Ivanovich Sokiran, Maria Petrovna Chayskiy, Mark Kotlaroff, Svetlana Kotlaroff, Ilarion Marr, Margaret
Marr, E.I. Budzilovich, Tatiana Nikolayevna Rusiecki, Aleksandr Zudenko, Tatiana Shatalov, Tatiana
Manveladze, Tatiana Yemelyanov, Irina Hopersky, Olga Amelchenko, Marina Yevdochenko-Wells,
Valentina Tarasenko, and Anna Chemerov.
The following attendees participated by telephone: Hegumen Andrei Erastov, Archpriest Nikita
Grigoriev, Archpriest Andrew Kencis, Archpriest Daniel Meschter, Archpriest Oleg Mironov, Dimitri
Gontscharow and other lay people.
• The meeting began at 7 PM with the prayer “O Heavenly King.”
• Fr. Dmitriy Amelchenko was elected the secretary of the meeting.
• It was decided to allow 3 minutes for every statement.
• Archbishop Andronik, the Chairman of the meeting, began by outlining the current
circumstances in our Church. He noted that dissatisfaction and discontent began some time
ago, caused by the systematic violation of the canons and the Status of the ROCA by
Metropolitan Agafangel and his Synod, (which frankly complies with every one of his
demands). The exact violations were enumerated. Archbishop Andronik also noted that the
punishments meted out by the Synod to eliminate opponents were especially cruel. Such
measures were never used by Synods in the past. Instead of correcting the situation, they
appear to be vindictive actions meant to eliminate those with a different opinion. As a result,
some have gone over to the Greeks. The Holy Trinity parish in Astoria also appealed to
Archbishop Andronik to shield them from the unlawful punitive measures of the Metropolitan.
Archbishop Andronik also admitted that he made a mistake in signing the agreement with
Metropolitan Agafangel. That is why he decided later on August 3\16, 2016, to remove his
signature from the document.
• Archbishop Andronik read the statement he made to the Metropolitan by phone (see attached),
in which he explained the reasons why he removed his signature. A proposal was made to
vote to approve Archbishop Andronik’s statement to the Metropolitan. The majority present,
with one abstention, approved of Archbishop Andronik’s decision.
• A proposal was made to discuss the call for an All-Diaspora Council. Since it is not possible to
expect a fair resolution of all the problems that have accumulated because of the Metropolitan
and his Synod, the only way to resolve the situation is to convene an All-Diaspora Council at
which Metropolitan Agafangel and the members of the Synod must account for their unjust
• A discussion was held whether it was necessary to establish a Temporary Higher Church
Authority (THCA) at this time. After examining the question, it was decided that creating a
THCA would be premature. A proposal was also made to conduct the All-Diaspora Council in
two sessions (or two councils), one after another. At the first, we could resolve our internal
problems with Metropolitan Agafangel and the Synod. Then a second All-Diaspora Council
could be held with the goal of uniting the fragments of the traditional ROCA and invite
representatives from the other jurisdictions. It was decided that this proposal will be reviewed
by the Pre-Council Committee.
• The creation of a Pre-Council Committee made up of 3 clergy and 3 laypeople was proposed.
• The following candidates were proposed:
– Abp. Andronik (Kotlaroff)
– Hegumen Andrei (Erastov)
– Archpriest Nikita Grigoriev
– Mark Kotlaroff
– Vadim Yarmolinets
– Dimitri Gontscharow
The candidates were approved and ratified.
• The final text of the Resolution was discussed, adjusted and approved unanimously (see
• The meeting concluded at 10 PM with the prayer “It is Truly Meet.”
Archbishop Andronik, Chariman
Fr. Dmitriy Amelchenko, Secretary